Thursday, March 17, 2011

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain

Meet Amélie. Anything but your ordinary girl, Amélie is that strangely alluring mix of introvert and extrovert; the kind of girl you stare at because she's dressed as though she had fallen into a laundry basket or is preoccupied watching a ladybug dine on a leaf. Amélie is also the kind of person who flutters into your life, and you kindly inquire, "Where did you come from?" because you know you did not leave the window open. However, after checking to ensure your senility, you realize she's gone.

That is Amélie.

Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain, or simply, Amélie, captures that spirit. Like lightning in a bottle, we know this is a ruse, we understand that the happenings of Amélie are far too idealistic, too "by-chance: too lucky. We don't care though. Whether it's the quirky charm of her acquaintances or her own antics, one cannot help but fall under the spell of Amélie. 

If you have yet to see this film, I highly recommend it. However, the music is, by and far, the greatest thing about this French film. It's been said that Yann Tiersen's score for this film put him on the same level as John Williams and Philip Glass. I'll let you decide:

6 comments:

  1. So is this a movie/music blog? I do enjoy both, especially the chances to find new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have seen this movie before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's going to be a general media review/recommendation blog. So, books and video games may be a part of it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen this movie several times. <3 Amélie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the music from this movie... so sad yet hopeful... and I lol'd at the sex scene.

    ReplyDelete